When you watch a video, what’s the first thing you notice? For some, it could be the music or color, for others, it is the emotional appeal. The psychological impact is a big factor in video marketing. Emotions convert — they can influence a customer’s purchase decision.
You have between 15 and 30 seconds to grab your viewer’s attention. Within seconds your viewer could lose interest. According to Wistia, it is proven that humans can understand visual information in 13 milliseconds — this is enough time to reel a customer in or possibly scare them off permanently. You only have one chance at a first impression.
It is important to create appealing videos for your audience. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
The Psychological Impact:
- According to Facebook data, 65% of people that watch the first three seconds of your video will watch it for at least ten more seconds. Another 45% of viewers will watch an additional 20 seconds of content.
Captivate Viewers Early With Music:
- The overall sound will have a major impact on both emotion and memory.
Catch Viewers’ Eyes With Color:
- “It takes roughly 90 seconds for a customer to form an opinion about a product. And, 62 – 90 percent of that interaction is determined by the color of the product alone according to Wistia”
- Every color targets a different emotion. Hubspot released an article discussing how each color impacts the viewer. For example, the color red triggers a sense of urgency, which is why it is often effective in sales.
Use Credible Video Talent
- Make sure the talent you use is both reliable and knowledgeable of the topic they are talking about, this can sometimes make or break an ad.
Use Storytelling to Connect With Viewers:
- If the viewers are emotionally connected with the content they will be inclined to read more and believe the message is important. This could potentially lead to more content engagement and a larger audience, which is every marketer’s goal.
A great example of a company that articulates the psychological impact using colors, music, and emotion is the Ball’s commercial by Sony. They incorporated striking colors, slow-motion effects, and music to make this advertisement a success.
Check out some of our videos, and see what we could do for you!